- 2018 was the most award-winning year in GROHE’s history.
- All GROHE’s newest innovations were honoured with coveted awards.
- With 19 awards in total, the water security system GROHE Sense is now the most awarded product in the brand’s portfolio.
For GROHE’s inhouse design department which is made up of 20 international designers and headed up by Vice President of Design, Michael Seum, each design process assigns great importance to three key elements: the development must be consumer-centric and consider the entire consumer experience; the product should be intuitive and able to form an emotional connection, making it a pleasure for consumers to interact with it in the long term, and it must achieve the optimum balance between aesthetics and function. This design philosophy is the foundation of all GROHE product designs and one that is highly recognised by the creative community, as demonstrated by the record number of 63 design awards that honoured the work of the GROHE design team in 2018. It is an even greater accomplishment that all of GROHE’s most recent innovations received prestigious accolades – from digital innovations, kitchen and bath taps collections to ceramics lines, shower systems and even architectural flush plates.
The story behind five of GROHE’s highlight products
1. Water security system GROHE Sense | 19 awards since launch including an International Design Excellence Award in Gold
“With the water security system GROHE Sense, we opened up a completely new field of business for GROHE. The launch of our first IoT product marked the beginning of our vision for the digitisation of water. But what we didn’t change was our demand for exceptional design. Even if we developed a design for an area like the cellar not known for design, we gave our Sense system an iconic shape.”
– Michael Rauterkus, CEO GROHE AG
2. GROHE SmartControl Concealed shower system | 7 awards since launch including a Red Dot Design Award
“Enjoying a refreshing shower shouldn’t be complicated. That’s why we developed the intelligent technology GROHE SmartControl. The intuitive push and turn control unit allows the user to adjust the volume and temperature effortlessly, as well as selecting the preferred spray and switching between head and hand shower. Experiencing a perfect, personalized shower has never been easier.”
– Mario Fuchs, Head of Category Management Showers GROHE AG
“Minimalist design meets dynamic showering. The simple and pure geometric forms are further enhanced with extreme attention to details like the intuitive and large icons of the EASYLogic controls, the colour coding or the precise knurling on the push buttons. Every aspect of the product is designed to provide a personalised showering experience without a moment’s thought.”
– Duarte Salvador, Creative Director Design GROHE AG
3. GROHE Blue Home Watersystem | 16 awards since launch including an ICONIC AWARD for Innovative Interior Best of the Best
“With GROHE Blue Home, we invented the water source of the future. Still, medium or sparkling water which is even chilled and filtered directly from tap to table. As we are living in a world that is slowly sinking in a sea of plastic, our water system is a behavior change innovation which allows to live a plastic-free life.”
– Frank Spiekermann, Head of Category Management Kitchen GROHE AG
“The timeless and elegant GROHE Blue Home design range is based on the intersection of two simple geometric structures – cylindrical bodies for the spout connection and for the control elements. The tap water is controlled via a classic lever, while operation of the filtered still and sparkling water is via an intelligent user interface supported by intuitive icons. The different variants in C, U and L shape offer the freedom of design for use in any modern kitchen, but also the freedom to pull the mousseur forward or down.”
– Begüm Tomruk, Senior Designer GROHE AG
4. Kitchen tap collection GROHE Essence Professional | 9 awards since launch including the iF Design Award in Gold
“In most kitchens, the tap is used up to 90 times per day. Culinary enthusiasts use it hundreds of times in more demanding ways. From the 360 degree turnable spring arm to the effortless EasyDock M magnetic system for the dual-spray metal head, every detail of GROHE Essence Professional has been designed with ease of use in mind. Featuring GrohFlexx technology, the hygienic santoprene hose is easy-to-clean and comes in a choice of 10 colour finishes to harmonise with any kitchen.”
– Gerhard Sturm, Chief Marketing Officer GROHE AG
“With the sleek, architectural GROHE Essence Professional, we put beauty in utility. Through the introduction of controlled organic transitions which seamlessly merge into the flexible U-shaped silicone hose, it has a softened concentric geometry. With Essence Professional, we have relentlessly pursued the golden ratio of perfectly balanced proportions to give a timelessness to the design.”
– Hans Lobermeier, Senior Designer GROHE AG
5. GROHE Lineare | 9 awards since launch including the German Design Award
“With thin proportions and pure composition of both round and square forms, GROHE Lineare offers ultimate flexibility when it comes to bathroom design
– Alexander Bühl, Head of Category Management Bath GROHE AG
“The GROHE Lineare stands for sensual minimalism. Lineare has been reduced to only the necessary elements to achieve the thinnest possible appearance. Based on two simple geometric structures, the cylindrical bodies and thin rectangular forms of the handle and spout create beautiful harmonious compositions.”
– Mirko Götzen, Creative Director Design GROHE AG